Available to the public at no charge, the IGFA's Intro to Fishing course offers an immersive curriculum covering angling basics and safety, aquatic and marine biology, fish anatomy, environmental stewardship, and more! The goal of the IGFA Online Angling Education Resources is to provide young and/or novice anglers with a strong foundation of angling knowledge in a comfortable, virtual setting that will give them the confidence to get out and go fishing in a responsible and ethical way. The IGFA's Intro to Fishing course is the first of several online courses planned for release and presented on a fun, interactive learning platform.
“I learned this for myself and will ask all of my friends to join this course to be an ethical angler.”
“Thank you, I have gone fishing before, but with a parent as a kid. I am excited to get back into it because some of my favorite memories were gained by water. I was nervous about my lack of knowledge and this course has given me the knowledge to be confident out by the water. ”
“I thought this was a great intro course. I want to start fishing and didn't know where to start and found this course online. It was great for a beginner!”
- What Makes a Fish a Fish?
- Eat or Be Eaten!
- Quick Review of Fish
- Intro to Fish Identification - Which Fish is Which?
- Freshwater Fish Identification
- Saltwater Fish Identification
- The Blue Marlin
- Fresh and Salt Water Fish Identification
- Practice Your New Fish ID Skills!
- Print and Color Your Own Game Fish!
- Fun Fish Facts!
- Where do Fish Live?
- Types of Aquatic Habitats
- The Importance of Plants
- Why are Habitats Important?
- Quick Review of Fish Habitat
- The Angler and the Gear
- How to Rig a Spincast Combo
- How to Rig a Spinning Combo
- How to Choose a Kid's Tackle Box
- Quick Review of the Gear
- How to Tie a Clinch Knot
- How to Tie a Uni Knot
- How to Tie a Palomar Knot
- Download IGFA's Fishing Knots Handout to Practice!
- Natural Baits and How to Rig Them
- Artificial Baits and How to Rig Them
- Rigging Baits for Saltwater
- Quick Review
- Angling Safety Tips
- Safe Boating Tips
- How to Cast a Spincast
- How to Cast a Spinning
- Quick Review of Safety and Casting
- How to Catch a Fish!
- Who is an Ethical Angler?
- What is Conservation?
- How to Release a Fish Using a De-Hooking Tool
- How to Release a Fish Properly Without Using a De-Hooking Tool
- Kick Plastic with Costa Sunglasses
- Review of Ethical Angling Practices
- TakeMeFishing.org explains the benefits of fishing licenses.
- Quick Review of Fishing Licenses
- Who is the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) and why become part of angling history?
- Quick Survey for the IGFA
- Pass on the Passion
- Junior Ranger - Let's Go Fishing Activity Book
- Catch a Memory with Reel Guppy Outdoors! - Activity Book
- Catch a Memory with Reel Guppy Outdoors! - Activity Book (Spanish)
- Thank you!